Monday 16 October 2017

Homecoming Queen by Kerry Watts

Kerry Watts was born and grew up in a small town in the East of Scotland. It took twenty years for her to pluck up the courage to finally share her scribbles with the paying public. All her books are published by Creativia and she is very grateful for the support she's found in their network of authors. She is always writing and carries a little notebook and pen with her wherever she goes because at her age ideas need to be captured before they disappear. When she's not writing she is following her other passion which is horseracing. She also loves dogs, particularly rescue mutts and she has volunteered for a couple of rescue charities in the past. She loves horses and dogs; people not so much.





Connect with the Author



About the Book


For Annie Marshall, accepting her school friend's wedding invitation means being catapulted back to the small Highland town she fled twenty years ago - and facing a tragedy that ripped the small community apart. A tragedy Annie is still held responsible for.

As she returns to her old hometown, wounds of the past are reopened. But for the sake of her best friend, Annie is willing to try.

Pulled away from her hectic Edinburgh life, Annie is forced to reassess the life she shares with her boyfriend Paul. And then, she meets the ruggedly handsome Billy Lawson and everything changes.

Get it today on Amazon!


Keep reading for an interview with the author:


Did you have a hard time sharing your work with the public?


I've been writing for over twenty years but only plucked up the courage to share my works with the world early last year. It was so uncomfortable at first because I'm a very private person. There's no shortage of people sadly who want to tell you what they think, good and bad.

What genres do you write?


I have published three crime fiction, two children's and now one romantic fiction book.

Is there a genre that you've been wanting to experiment with?


I've dabbled with fantasy. I am about 20,000 words in and I'm struggling. I love the idea of the book but I'm having difficulty pulling it off.


How often do you write?


I try to write something every day. I think it's important to be consistent. The thought of the dreaded writer's block terrifies me. I worry that I'll lose the thread otherwise.


Do you have a daily word or page count goal?


I like to think I'm satisfied by writing five pages a day. Any less feels like I've been slacking off.


How long does it take you to write a novel?


It takes me approximately three months give or take a day or two. I don't write much more than 50,000-word books. I would love to be able to write a 100,000 blockbuster one day but I'm not quite there yet although I have writer friends who have the opposite problem. They struggle to contain themselves!


What authors have most influenced you?


I've been heavily influenced by Dan Brown and Jeff Lindsay but the women who inspired me most to write are Marian Keyes and Isla Dewar.

If you could choose an author to be your mentor, who would it be?


There are just too many to choose but I guess the big hitters like Stephen King or James Patterson would make great mentors.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, and you could only have five books with you, what would they be?


Stephen King - On writing, would be fabulous. Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol, my favourite of his Robert Langdon series. Isla Dewar - Giving up on ordinary because that was THE book that got me started with the idea I could write a book. Marian Keyes - Rachel's Holiday because that book is so funny. Lastly, Single to Edinburgh by Diane M Dickson for those deeply emotional moments.

Are you a pantser or outliner?


I begin with an outline that I always tell myself I will stick to but never do!


What are you working on now?


Right now I'm writing a crime thriller about a missing teenage girl. There are several suspects who might know what's happened to her. As yet, I have no idea!


Do you have any advice for other authors?


My best advice is just to do it. No first draft is ever perfect, in fact, some are pretty dreadful! Take criticism with a pinch of salt. But most importantly enjoy what you write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!