Sunday 11 September 2016

Take the Body and Run by Jada Ryker

KINDLE SCOUT WINNER Jada Ryker snagged the Kindle Press publishing contract for her new book, Take the Body and Run, through Amazon’s Kindle Scout program. The contemporary mystery/romance is about a hunted woman hiding under a dead friend’s identity, a handsome lawman, a death doctor with fart machine-will travel, and a cranky cat with a nose for crime. It’s expected to be released in August 2016.

Jada lives in central Kentucky with her wonderful husband and their cat, rescued from the animal shelter. The cat rules the household and also loves to collect shiny trinkets. Once, she stole a Bluetooth and hid it under the couch. It took her humans several days to locate her ill-gotten booty.

In her day job, Jada works in higher education. She holds a masters degree in public administration.

Connect with the Author



Subscribe to her Newsletter!


About the Book


Macey’s first day in the college employee relations department ends with a knife at her throat.

Macey is certain things can’t get any worse. She’s wrong. An angry employee vows to put her on an online hit list. When he turns up dead, she’s a suspect—and on the hit list.

To keep her secrets and her life, Macey partners with two unexpected allies who cause her pulse to race with steamy attraction—and exasperating annoyance. Vince, a handsome, driven lawman, digs up more than just clues to the brutal murder. Brett, a fun-loving pathologist with a deadly sense of humor, drives everyone crazy with his fart machine-will travel. Macey’s supersized black cat Wikket, possessing courage, curiosity, and crankiness in equal portions, assists in his own grumpy, feline fashion, golden eyes open and claws extended.

Get it today on Amazon!


Keep reading for an interview with the author:


Why did you decide to be a writer?


I spent the first twenty-odd years of my life in rural Kentucky, many of those years without electricity or running water. I decided to draw upon my early years of deprivation. I took those dark times and turned them into creatures of the light. My books combine humor and murder in a total package of entertaining and fun southern adventures. At the same time, I sketch in addiction/recovery issues and childhood angst with a deft and compassionate touch.

Do you have a "day job"? If so, what do you do?


I work in higher education. There are a ton of "hot button" issues in colleges and universities right now. It breaks my heart when I see instances of racism on college campuses. The administration has a duty to address and eradicate racism.


What genres do you write?


I write mysteries. I've spiced them with paranormal, romance, humor, chick lit, and even horror.


Does your family support you in your writing, or are you on your own?


My husband, mother, and aunt read everything I write. (Thanks, guys!) My children are busy with their lives and families. My mom says: “Make the girls read your books.” Ah, I haven’t figured out how to do that.


What is the best writing advice you've ever received?


Never give up. If I had given up, I wouldn't have won the June 2016 Kindle Press contract through the Kindle Scout program with Take the Body and Run.

What is the worst writing advice you've ever received?


Give up.

Are you a pantser or outliner?


For each book, I develop a broad roadmap for the chapters. I find that the characters like to take their own unusual turns…and I let them. The initial concept and the finished product are wildly different.

How long does it take you to write a book?


When I pushed myself to see how quickly I could write a book, it took me about five weeks for a 60,000 word novel. But I used a week of vacation, and I didn't have a life outside writing. I'd rather take my time, enjoy the process, and have fun. In that case, it takes me about twelve weeks from start to finish.


Do you write about real life experiences, or does everything come from your imagination?


I’ve written mysteries without a supernatural element. Then, a mystery that included a paranormal element started cavorting around in my head. Celeste Carr and Ericka Maah run the Carr – Maah Consulting Agency, a human resources consulting agency. The Karma mystery series was born.

The characters are complete opposites. Celeste is practical. She rejects anything of a supernatural nature. Ericka is mysterious, with odd, unexplained things happening when she’s around. The two business partners clash, but each would give her life for the other.

The real life experience comes into play with the homelessness element. I work in a fair-sized city. I saw homeless people roaming the streets. I did some research on the homeless population. It inspired me to include a homeless man in the Karma series. Hobart plays a major role.

Do you have any advice for other authors?


If you work a day job while you're writing and promoting, it takes off the pressure. I read a Facebook post by a new author who wrote: “I'm depending on my writing to finance my retirement.” I've read many excellent books by independent authors who are not (yet) famous and struggling to break even. Don't bet the farm on fame and fortune through your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!