Wednesday 6 May 2015

Shadow Stalker: Broken (Episode 8) by Renee Scattergood

Renee Scattergood lives in Australia with her husband, Nathan, and daughter, Taiya. She has always been a fan of fantasy and was inspired to become a story-teller by George Lucas, but didn't start considering writing down her stories until she reached her late twenties. Now she enjoys writing fantasy. She is currently publishing her monthly Shadow Stalker series, and she has published a prequel novella to the series called, Demon Hunt. She is also working on a new series, Savior of the Serpent Isles. The first book, The Galvadi Invasion, is due to be released later this year. Aside from writing, she loves reading (Fantasy, of course), watching movies with her family, and doing crafts and science experiments with her daughter. Find out more about her, and sign up for her newsletter for a free copy of her latest episode of Shadow Stalker.




Connect with the Author

Renee Writes - my personal website and blog.
Renee's Author Spotlight - a blog where I feature indie and small press authors.

About the Book

Auren finds a way to escape the pain of her torture, but when Makari realizes it's preventing him from "cleansing" her, he finds ways of randomizing the pain to keep her present. Still, she does not succumb to the torment.

When Makari can't get through to her, he decides Drevin, the emperor of the Galvadi, is right. Auren is the delohi-saqu. Now Makari is no longer concerned with cleansing her because the delohi-saqu cannot be cleansed. He resorts to more sadistic methods to extract information about the Coalition. If Auren can't resist, her friends and hundreds of innocent people will die.

Buy the Book


An excerpt from Shadow Stalker: Broken (Episode 8)


Makari leaned over me, placing a hand on the side of my face. His eyes bored into my, imploring me to give him what he wanted. "Please, Auren. Tell me where they are."

"You know I can't. I can't betray my people."

He sighed. "Just remember you brought this on yourself. I've tried to make this easy for you. You promised to accept the cleansing, and yet you have fought me at every turn."

My eyes widened. "I didn't hide in the shadow world. I did exactly what you asked."

"No, you didn't hide in the shadow world. You just found somewhere else to hide." He sighed. "Maybe it's not your fault. Maybe it's just in your nature as the delohi-saqu."

"Stop calling me that," I shouted. "I agreed to wear the stupid recinder if you promise not to tell your father where they are. If I knew you would go to them, that you would help them, I’d tell you.” I grasped onto the small silence. “If I'm wearing a recinder, I can't hurt anyone, right?"

"So you're admitting to who you are?"

I groaned. "No, Makari. I'm just trying to help my people. I can see you don't want to do this, so why can't we find another way?"

"Because I don't trust your intentions, Auren. It could be a trick, or an effort to buy more time so you can make your plans. Besides, the Coalition won’t trust me. They might kill me on sight."

"They don't know you. You could tell them you're a shadow stalker, or take me with you. If I’m wearing the recinder…"

Makari shook his head. He had already made up his mind. I needed another tactic.

"If they know I’ve been captured, they have likely moved."

"They're limited on where they can go now, Auren. Even if they have moved, you can give me a starting point. I've been trained to track in ways you couldn't possibly imagine. I will find them."

His words made it clear he had no knowledge of my training, or that Kado was a shadow warrior. My skills probably exceeded his, but I had no intention of telling him that.

"Tell me, Auren. We don't have to do this."

"Yes, we do. You will never believe me, and I will never betray the people of the Serpent Isles." I closed my eyes. This was it. The beginning of the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I hope you will show your support to these indie authors. Please leave a comment!